: The Cuyahoga County Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, dedicated July 4, 1894, honors Cuyahoga County men and women, who performed military and patriotic duties during the Civil War (1861-1865). William J. Gleason (1846-1905), army veteran and local businessman, proposed its creation in 1879. Captain Levi Tucker Scofield (1842-1917), Cleveland architect and sculptor, designed the structure and supervised its 19-month construction by contractors, A. McAllister and Andrew Dall. George T. Brewster of Boston and George Wagner of New York, professional artists, assisted Scofield as sculptors. A 12-member Monument Commission, appointed by Governor Joseph B. Foraker in 1888, oversaw the project, which included the removal of William Walcutt's 1860 marble statue of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry from the site. The monument's cost of $280,000 was raised by a countywide property tax levy. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07680 Subjects
: Monuments & memorials; War memorials--Ohio; Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)