: University Hall as seen from the west bank of the Olentangy River looking northwest.
The Ohio State University was established in 1870 as the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College, a land-grant university.
University Hall opened in September 1873 and it was the first building on the campus. In addition to being the first classroom building, it also housed the library, administrative offices, apartments for faculty, dormitory rooms for male students as well as a chapel. In 1968, due to lack of structural integrity, the building was deemed unsafe and everything was moved out of it. It was torn down in 1971. The new University Hall that was completed in 1976 stands in almost the same spot and was designed to look exactly like the original building on the outside. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07745 Subjects
: Education, Higher--Ohio--History; History of the Ohio State University; Ohio State University. Libraries; Architecture--Ohio--Columbus; Historic buildings--Ohio--Columbus Places
: Columbus (Ohio)