: A horse-drawn hearse marked "Stoneburners Hearse."
A hearse as a funerary vehicle has its origins in an elaborate framework erected over a coffin or tomb to which memorial verses or epitaphs were attached. Such framework was commonly placed on top of horse-drawn carriages until petroleum-driven hearses became available in the United States in 1909 and widely used in 1920s.
Photograph by Harry Evan Kinley (1882-1969), a native of Upper Sandusky. Kinley was active in local events and organizations, and spent his professional career as a clerk at his father's department store, and later as a travelling salesman for the Marion Paper & Supply Company (1934-1962). He was also an avid lifelong photographer, and the bulk of the Harry Kinley Collection is comprised of glass plate negatives documenting the Kinley family, the city of Upper Sandusky and Wyandot County and surrounding areas.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07788 Subjects
: Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Funeral rites & ceremonies; Funeral vehicles; Places
: Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Wyandot County (Ohio);