: Photograph of the old Star Theatre seen from the street. The banner at the entrance reads: "Coolest Place in Town." There are three posters advertising movie "The Stranger" and a poster advertising an admission price of 5¢.
The Star Theater in Upper Sandusky was was a movie theater opened by Roscoe C. Cuneo in 1930s.
Over time, the theater turned into a non-profit organization. In the 1970s, in addition to showing movies, it began to serve as a space for on-stage events. In 1977, the theater re-opened as a community theater. Today, in addition to movies, the theater offers shows and workshops. Its funding relies largely on donations and community support.
Photograph by Harry Evan Kinley (1882-1969), a native of Upper Sandusky. Kinley was active in local events and organizations, and spent his professional career as a clerk at his father's department store, and later as a travelling salesman for the Marion Paper & Supply Company (1934-1962). He was also an avid lifelong photographer, and the bulk of the Harry Kinley Collection is comprised of glass plate negatives documenting the Kinley family, the city of Upper Sandusky and Wyandot County and surrounding areas. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07789 Subjects
: Cultural Ohio--Popular Culture; Motion picture industry; Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Theaters--Ohio Places
: Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Wyandot County (Ohio)