: Postcard image showing a busy downtown street scene. Based on the "The Union" sign for The Union department store on North High and Long Streets, this photograph was taken two or three blocks north of Broad Street on North High. Trolley #296, marked "Oak St.," is visible in the street along with multiple horse-drawn carriages. A number of signs advertising various businesses can be seen on the right: a post office, a gramophone and phonograph store, and a trunk and umbrella shop. The photograph's date is based on the absence of the Atlas Building, which was build in 1905 just east of The Union, and is not visible in this photograph.
Photograph by Harry Evan Kinley (1882-1969), a native of Upper Sandusky. Kinley was active in local events and organizations, and spent his professional career as a clerk at his father's department store, and later as a travelling salesman for the Marion Paper & Supply Company (1934-1962). He was also an avid lifelong photographer, and the bulk of the Harry Kinley Collection is comprised of glass plate negatives documenting the Kinley family, the city of Upper Sandusky and Wyandot County and surrounding areas. This image was likely one of a series of postcards Kinley created and sold.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07803 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Neighborhoods--Ohio--Columbus; Photographers--Ohio; Cities and towns--Ohio; Central business district Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)