: Vignette photograph showing the Ohio Statehouse during the 19th century. The capitol building was built between 1839 and 1861 in the Greek Revival style, resembling the Parthenon in Greece. One of the best examples of Greek Revival civic architecture in the United States, it is also one of the oldest working statehouses in the nation. It is a masonry building, consisting largely of brick and Columbus limestone quarried from the west banks of the Scioto River. Seven architects worked on the project. The most notable is Nathan B. Kelly, who modified the building's plans to include heating and ventilation systems. Prisoners at the Ohio Penitentiary were used to complete portions of the construction of the building. View on Ohio Memory.
: AV8_B01_F05 Subjects
: Ohio Government; Architecture; Capitols; Ohio Statehouse (Columbus, Ohio)--Pictorial works; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)