: Photograph showing a carriage drawn by horse traveling on an unpaved street passing fields, residences, and telephone lines. Descriptions located on the back of the photograph read: "9.1 miles west of Zanesville, 1913," and "east of Gratiot, 3/4 mile, house in distance on left old Kroft farm house covered with [illegible] school west of this 1/3 mile Looking East Mr. Ankrum."
Beginning construction in 1806, the National Road (also known as the Cumberland Road) was the first federally-funded interstate highway. Crossing six states from Cumberland, Maryland, to Vandalia, Illinois, over 220 miles of the 600-mile road pass through Ohio. During the nineteenth century it was an important commercial artery for Midwestern merchants and farmers, and in the twentieth century, it continued to be a major east/west route for automobile travel. The National Road has been named both an "All-American Road" and a "National Scenic Byway" by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
View on Ohio Memory.
: P199_B01_F15_01 Subjects
: Roads; Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development; Travel; Streets--Ohio; National Road; Places
: Zanesville (Ohio); Muskingum County (Ohio);