: Photograph of Selby Stadium under construction, on the campus of Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio, 1929. Built in 1929 by the general contracting firm of Elford, Inc., Selby Stadium has a seating capacity of 9,100, and the second-largest press box in Ohio after the one at Ohio State's Ohio Stadium. Since 1985, the stadium has belonged to the National Register of Historic Places.
Elford, Inc. was founded in 1910 in Columbus, Ohio, by Edward "Pop" Elford. Edward's son Harold joined the firm in 1923 and the company began to expand. Under Harold's leadership, the company built twelve facilities at Ohio State University, and completed over thirty construction projects for Battelle Memorial Institute. The company went onto build a wide variety of buildings including banks, churches, hospitals, hotels/motels, offices and rental buildings. Significant examples of their work include the Harding Memorial, St. Stephen's Church, and the Dublin (Ohio) Bridge. View on Ohio Memory.
: P390B03F09_002 Subjects
: Construction industry--Ohio; Architecture--Ohio; Ohio Wesleyan University; Stadiums; Sports--Ohio--History; Places
: Delaware (Ohio); Delaware County (Ohio)