: Photograph showing the Midland Theater in Newark, Ohio, ca. 1930. Located at 36 North Park Place in downtown Newark, the Midland was built by Elford, Inc. and opened on December 20, 1928. After five successful decades, the theater closed in 1978 due to deterioration and decreasing attendance, but was renovated and reopened in 2000.
Elford, Inc. was founded in 1910 in Columbus, Ohio, by Edward "Pop" Elford. Edward's son Harold joined the firm in 1923 and the company began to expand. Under Harold's leadership, the company built twelve facilities at Ohio State University, and completed over thirty construction projects for Battelle Memorial Institute. The company went onto build a wide variety of buildings including banks, churches, hospitals, hotels/motels, offices and rental buildings. Significant examples of their work include the Harding Memorial, St. Stephen's Church, and the Dublin (Ohio) Bridge.
View on Ohio Memory.
: P390B03F07_001 Subjects
: Construction industry--Ohio; Architecture--Ohio; Theaters--Ohio; Arts and Entertainment; Places
: Newark (Ohio); Licking County (Ohio)