: Photograph of the Harding Memorial under construction by Elford, Inc., in Marion, Ohio. Shortly after President Warren G. Harding died in office, the Harding Memorial Association was formed to raise money for a memorial site in honor of the late president. Construction of the tomb started in 1926 and was completed in 1927, although it didn't receive its formal dedication until 1931. It now houses the remains of President Harding and his wife, Florence Kling Harding.
Elford, Inc. was founded in 1910 in Columbus, Ohio, by Edward "Pop" Elford. Edward's son Harold joined the firm in 1923 and the company began to expand. Under Harold's leadership, the company built twelve facilities at Ohio State University, and completed over thirty construction projects for Battelle Memorial Institute. The company went onto build a wide variety of buildings including banks, churches, hospitals, hotels/motels, offices and rental buildings. Significant examples of their work include the Harding Memorial, St. Stephen's Church, and the Dublin (Ohio) Bridge. View on Ohio Memory.
: P390B03F06_001_01 Subjects
: Construction industry--Ohio; Architecture--Ohio; Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel), 1865-1923; Monuments--Ohio Places
: Marion (Ohio); Marion County (Ohio)