: Map showing Columbus and Franklin County, Ohio, in 1923. The corporation of Columbus is delineated by a thick black line. The map also shows property ownership for Columbus and the surrounding county. Columbus was first laid out in 1812 and incorporated in 1816. Columbus was not the original capital, but the state legislature chose to move the state government there after its location for a short time at both Chillicothe and Zanesville. Columbus was chosen as the site for the new capital because of its central location within the state and access by way of major transportation routes (primarily rivers) at that time. By 1923, Columbus had a population of around 240,000, while Franklin County as a whole had approximately 283,000 citizens. View on Ohio Memory.
: MAPVFM_0074F Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Maps; Cities and towns--Ohio; Surveying; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)