: Map of the Western Reserve including the Fire Lands in Ohio, published by William Sumner in Nelson, Ohio, September 1826. Counties included on the map are Huron, Lorain, Medina, Cuyahoga, Portage, Geauga, Astabula (Ashtabula) and Trumbull. Also marked on the map are courthouses, meeting houses, colleges, mills, lighthouses, villages, county lines and roads. A brief history on the bottom portion of the map reads, "The Western Reserve is situated in the north east corner of the State between Lake Erie on the north, Pennsylvania East &c. It extends 120 miles from East to West and upon an average 52 from north to south. The area is just 3,000,000 of acres, a body of 500,000 of acres is stricken off from the west end of the tract and granted by the state of of Connecticut as a donation to certain sufferers by fire occasioned by the English during the Revolutionary War, the manner by which the state of Connecticut became possessed of the land in question was the following. King Charles II of View on Ohio Memory.
: MAPVFM_0323_2 Subjects
: Western Reserve; Firelands; Ohio History--Settlement and Early Statehood; Maps Places