: Group photograph of former Department Commanders of Ohio for the United Spanish War Veterans, June 26-29, 1927. Names are provided on the back of the photograph. Front row (left to right): "Chas. F. Cramer (Past dept. com. & pc-c), Chas. C. Chapp (p. dept. com.), Geo. W. Cunningham (p.d.c.), Syl. Garver (p.d.c.), Myer Geberd (p.d.c.), Harry Syfert." Middle row (left to right): "Alex Frank, Frank Arch, Ben F. Atkinson, Jos. V. Hirsch, O. Noble, August Rupinaw, John G. De Camp." Back row (left to right): Albert Dalnard (p.c.c.-p.d.c.), Ray E. Layton, Ralph H. Carroll, Clarence W. Brinkle, Chas. S. Wragg." The United Spanish War Veterans was a fraternal organization that eventually included men who fought in the Spanish American War, the Philippine Insurrection and the China Relief Mission. It was organized into "Departments" by state, and then into smaller groups called "Camps." The organization lasted until 1992, when its last remaining member died at age 106.
The Spanish American War was the shortest war in United States history, lasting less than four months. More than 15,000 Ohioans served in the militia and the volunteer army during the war during this time. Of those, few were involved in major action, although 230 died of disease. The Treaty of Paris, negotiated in part by Ohioan Whitelaw Reid, formally ended the war on December 10, 1898, and Spain relinquished to U.S. control the territories of Cuba, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines. View on Ohio Memory.
: SC1279_12_01 Subjects
: Spanish-American War, 1898; Veterans; Soldiers--Ohio; Military Ohio; Fraternal organizations; Places
: Bucyrus (Ohio); Crawford County (Ohio)