: This pamphlet, titled "A New Departure in Treatment of the Insane: History of the Toledo Hospital," was written by former Ohio Governor Charles Foster and published in 1898. It discusses the Toledo State Hospital from its construction and early years, including efforts made to differentiate the Toledo Hospital from traditional mental health institutions. Originally named the Toledo Institution for the Insane, this establishment opened in 1888 and was designed on the new concept of the "cottage system." In this model, less-severe patients were granted more independence than traditional residential institutions in order to encourage their recovery. The former grounds of the Toledo State Hospital were cleared in the 1990s, and the site is now home to the Northwest Ohio Psychiatirc Hospital. View on Ohio Memory.
: PA429_11_001 Subjects
: Toledo State Hospital; Mental illness--Treatment--Ohio; Hospitals--Ohio; Places
: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)