: Portrait of General Catherinus Buckingham (1808-1888), who is credited with designing the third version of Zaneville's Y-Bridge at the confluence of the Licking and Muskingum Rivers. In 1812 a charter was granted to Moses Dillon and others to construct a toll bridge that spanned the confluence, connecting Zanesville with Natchez and West Zanesville. A walled, oak-planked bridge with a central pier where the forks of a "Y" met was opened to the public in 1814. A makeshift structure, this first bridge (1814-1818) needed constant repair and collapsed into the river in 1818. A second bridge (1819-1832) was built on the same site of stronger construction, but was condemned thirteen years later when twelve-inch-thick ice in the river weakened the superstructure. During renovation work in 1832, a section of the bridge collapsed, killing three men, one of whom was Ebenezer Buckingham, an owner of the bridge and father of Catherinus. The third Y-Bridge (1832-1900) stood until 1900 when it was demolished. On January 4, 1902, the fourth Y-Bridge (1902-1979) was opened for foot passengers, and ten days later, for streetcars and wagons. In 1979, the fourth bridge was judged unsafe, and the fifth and current bridge opened on November 9, 1984. View on Ohio Memory.
: P259_B01F06_001 Subjects
: Muskingum River (Ohio); Licking River (Ohio); Bridges; National Register of Historic Places; Places
: Zanesville (Ohio); Muskingum County (Ohio)