: Souvenir booklet put out by the Columbus State Hospital, located on West Broad Street in Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1900. The volume includes a history of the hospital as well as details on its current staff, patients and facilities, along with photographic illustrations of the hospital grounds, staff and trustees, and more. The Columbus State Hospital, a facility for the care and treatment of mentally ill people, admitted its first patient in 1877. This facility replaced the Ohio Lunatic Asylum, which the Ohio General Assembly established in 1835. In April 1869. the Ohio legislature laid plans for a new structure to accommodate 500 patients. This new hospital built on the "Kirkbride Plan" was under construction from 1870 to 1877, and represented the largest single public capital investment by the state of Ohio up to that time, with the exception of the Statehouse. Over the decades, these two facilities operated under various names including the Ohio Lunatic Asylum, Central Ohio Lunatic Asylum, Central Ohio Hospital for the Insane, Columbus Hospital for the Insane, and Columbus State Hospital. View on Ohio Memory.
: Page1 Subjects
: Columbus State Hospital (Ohio); Mental illness--Treatment--Ohio; Psychiatric hospitals--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)