: Fort Amanda State Memorial is located near Wapakoneta, Ohio and the Auglaize River. The fort served as a major supply depot and hospital during the War of 1812. Although the fort was destroyed, a memorial and park mark the site. It is operated by the Ohio Historical Society. The photograph measures 8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.4 cm). The United States, angered by British attempts to impress American sailors into the British Navy and fearing the British presence in Canada, declared war on Great Britain in June of 1812. William Henry Harrison was appointed commander-in-chief of the Northwestern Army. He built Fort Meigs, named after Ohio Governor Return J. Meigs, near present-day Perrysburg. Supplying the fort was difficult, however, as artillery and food had to be carried through the Black Swamp. Nonetheless, Fort Meigs withstood several assaults by British troops. An attack on Fort Stephenson near Fremont forced Major George Croghan to defend the fort with only one cannon, nicknamed "Old Betsy." In one of the most significant battles of the war, Colonel Oliver Hazard Perry defeated the British at the Battle of Lake Erie in September 1813. The British captain Robert Barclay surrendered his entire fleet. Harrison learned that Perry had effectively cut the British supply line through Perry's message: "We have met the enemy and they are ours." The War of 1812 destroyed American Indian military power and confined them to reservations. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3181_4412111_001 Subjects
: Military Ohio; War of 1812; Monuments & memorials; Forts & fortifications Places
: Wapakoneta (Ohio); Auglaize County (Ohio)