: A mural study in crayon by Columbus, Ohio, artist Emerson Burkhart. This is one of many studies for murals commissioned to Burkhart in 1930s, some of them funded by the Works Progress Administration Federal Art Project. Several of the murals can still be found at Stillman Hall on the Ohio State University campus and one of them is located at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.
Burkhart (1905-1969) was an artist very well known to Columbus residents during his lifetime. He was born in Union Township, Ohio. After graduating from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1927, he moved to the East Coast and studied art under the direction of Charles Hawthorne, among others. He returned to Ohio in 1931 to teach at Ohio School of Art in Columbus. He painted 3,000 pieces during his career, many of which were portraits of Ohio residents. In addition to painting local street scenes and rural landscapes, he is also known for numerous self-portraits. He was married to Mary Ann Burkhart, née Martin (1918-1955), a famous New York art model who became an artist herself. View on Ohio Memory.
: H83689 Subjects
: Burkhart, Emerson (1905-1969); Cultural Ohio--Art and Artists; Public art; Federal Art Project; Works Progress Administration Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)