: Mounted group photograph showing the Toledo State Hospital baseball team, posed with their equipment and their win-loss record for the 1897 season. The twelve team members are identified by last name and position beneath the photograph. In the back row, left to right, are Long (pitcher), Fink (pitcher), Langon (sub), Willard (center fielder) and Bentley (third base). In the center row, left to right, are Rockeyfellow (right field), Vaughn (second base), Hays (first base), Geey (left fielder) and Horan (shortstop). The two men in front are Brenitt (catcher) and Shuck (pitcher).
Originally known as the Toledo Asylum for the Insane, the institution opened in 1888 on a 150-acre plat at the corner of Detroit Avenue and Arlington Avenue. It was the first institution in the United States to be built on the cottage plan; the grounds were situated in a park-like setting and housed a complex of 34 buildings. The name was changed to the Toledo State Hospital in 1894, and the Northwest Ohio Psychiatric Hospital now occupies the site. View on Ohio Memory.
: OVS2530 Subjects
: Mental illness--Treatment--Ohio; Psychiatric hospitals--Ohio; Baseball teams; Sports--Ohio--History; Places
: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)