: This photograph of Fort Recovery Monument in Mercer County was taken in the 1960s. Fort Recovery Monument was dedicated on July 1, 1913 in honor of the soldiers who perished in the two battles at the site. President William Howard Taft signed the bill to create the monument in 1908. The Ohio Historical Society reconstructed two blockhouses with a connecting stockade on the site, which it operates along with the monument and museum. The photograph measures 8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.4 cm). Fort Recovery was built on the site of General Arthur St. Clair's defeat in 1791. General "Mad" Anthony Wayne ordered the fort to be constructed in December 1793 to use as a staging area for his campaign against the American Indians who opposed white settlement. In spring 1794, a group of Shawnee, Delaware, Ottawa, Miami, and Ojibwa Indians attacked a supply wagon near the fort. Wayne's troops defeated the Indians, setting the stage for a final victory against three months later at the Battle of Fallen Timbers. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3102_3737118_001 Subjects
: Military Ohio; American Indians in Ohio; Arts and Entertainment; Monuments & memorials Places
: Fort Recovery (Ohio); Mercer County (Ohio)