: Three photographs document events at the 1947 Treaty Camporee held in Greenville, Ohio. The first photograph was taken at the Altar of Peace, a monument built to commemorate the signing of the Treaty of Greenville in 1795. The second shows men reviewing the Treaty Camporee Pageant program. The reverse identifies various attendees as; standing, left to right: unidentified, John O. Marsh, Edwin C. Zepp, Fred D. Coppock, unidentified; seated, left to right: Mayor William Reed, Guy D. Hawley, Dr. F. C. Barr and E. L. Kohnle. The photographs measure 8" by 10" (20.32 by 25.4 cm). In 1795, the Treaty of Greenville ended the Indian Wars in Ohio. General Anthony Wayne defeated the American Indian confederacy led by Blue Jacket at the Battle of Fallen Timbers on August 20, 1794. Abandoned by the British at Fort Miami, the American Indians agreed to a peace settlement. A year later, representatives from twelve tribes met at Greenville, in present-day Darke County, to negotiate with Wayne. Among the leaders were Little Turtle of the Miamis, Tarhe of the Wyandots, and Blue Jacket and Black Hoof of the Shawnees. The treaty confined the American Indians to northwestern Ohio. Despite Wayne's hope that the treaty would hold "as long as the woods grow and waters run," American Indians were removed to the West by the mid-nineteenth century. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3212_3831979_001 Subjects
: Military Ohio; American Indians in Ohio; Sports; Arts and Entertainment; Treaty of Greenville; Celebrations; Anniversaries Places
: Greenville (Ohio); Darke County (Ohio)