Hayes Memorial Library and Museum Dedication Trustee Ribbon   Save
Hayes Memorial Library and Museum Dedication Trustee Ribbon
Description: Pink ribbons were worn by trustees of the Ohio Archaeological and Historical Society (now the Ohio Historical Society) at the dedicatory exercises for the Hayes Memorial Library and Museum. The site was dedicated on Memorial Day, May 30, 1916 in the Spiegel Grove State Park, Fremont, Ohio. At 8:00 am the building was "thrown open...for the exclusive use of the school children and teachers of the Public Schools and of St. Ann's and St. Joseph's Parochial Schools, on the way to the cemeteries to decorate the graves of Soldiers." Governor Frank B. Willis made a presentation, as did George Kinney, mayor of Fremont, and United States Senator Warren G. Harding. The front cover includes an image of the Hayes Memorial Library and Museum and the back depicts Spiegel Grove. The program measures 5" by 7" (12.7 by 17.8 cm). The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center contains the residence of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th president of the United States, a library and museum, and the tomb of the president and his wife Lucy Webb Hayes. The library and museum building houses the personal papers and mementos of the Hayes family, the Civil War, and the White House. The tomb is encased in a monument of Vermont granite from the president's father's farm. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: Om3208_3831327_001
Subjects: Presidents and Politics; Architecture; Arts and Entertainment; Literary Ohio; Hayes, Rutherford Birchard, 1822-1893; Presidents; Building dedications; Monuments & memorials; Libraries; Galleries & museums; Ribbons; Ohio Historical Society
Places: Fremont (Ohio); Sandusky County (Ohio)