'Herald of a Better Time' announcement and circular   Save
'Herald of a Better Time' announcement and circular
Description: Official printed announcement of the intended publication of the weekly "The Herald of a Better Time" edited by "a Society of Friends of Truth and Humanity at Teutonia" dated November 1827. Also included is a circular, printed in German, for the purpose of collecting contributions for the building of a meeting house; the establishment of an educational institute; and getting subscriptions for the weekly "Der Herold einer bessern Zeit." The names of the men who signed in the name of the "Society of the 'United Germans' at Teutonia" are Salomon Sala, Michael Lenz, and Peter Kaufmann, dated Teutonia, Columbiana County, Ohio, November 26, 1827. Peter Kaufmann was a German immigrant and intellectual. He arrived first in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1820; in 1826 he became professor of languages at the Harmony Society town of Economy, Pennsylvania. In 1827, Kaufmann led the establishment of Teutonia, a utopian community in Columbiana County, Ohio, and published its weekly titled "Teutonia: The Herald of a Better Time." Following this he moved to Canton, Ohio, where he became translator and editor of "Der Vaterlandsfreund und Geist der Zeit" under Solomon Sala. Additionally, Kaufmann wrote a number of books on education, as well as a German almanac. He was also an influential Democrat, counting President Van Buren among his friends, and knew Ralph Waldo Emerson. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: MSS136_B02F05_06_01
Subjects: German Americans; Newspaper editors; Newspapers; Handbills, Advertising; Communal societies
Places: Columbiana County (Ohio)