: A woman removes a copy of The Columbus Dispatch from a newspaper stand along North High Street in downtown Columbus, Ohio. She is holding a shopping bag from The Union under her arm. Built in 1894 by S. M. Levy, The Union was a local department store which specialized in men's, women's and children's clothing. The Columbus Dispatch is a daily newspaper first published on July 1, 1871.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory.
: AV254_B04F086_01 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; Downtowns; Newspapers Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)