: This photograph shows the facade of Union Station, located at 380 North High Street in the Short North neighborhood of Columbus, Ohio. An elderly man walks by with his hands in his pockets. Designed by the famous Chicago architectural firm Daniel H. Burnham and Co., the building was Columbus's third Union Station. It opened in 1897, and the arcade was completed two years later. By the mid-20th century, train ridership had declined sharply, and in October 1976 all but one arch of the ornate facade was demolished. The station continued to offer Amtrak service until April 1977, but it was demolished in September 1978.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory.
: AV254_B08F211_01 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; Short North (Columbus, Ohio); Railroad stations; Architecture--Ohio--Columbus; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)