: Loranna J. Randolph of the Licking County Equal Suffrage League wrote this letter on October 21, 1914, to Lucile Atcherson of the Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association. She wrote the letter to thank Atcherson and the FCWSA for sending literature in support of women's suffrage. Randolph explained the amount of money she sent with the letter and she tried to recall how many leaflets she ordered. She also informed Atcherson that she would likely be ordering more literature, and when she ordered more Atcherson could tell her how much she owed for the paper ribbons that had been sent to the Equal Suffrage League.
The Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association was formed in 1912, after the Ohio Constitutional Convention elected to bring to a vote the question of removing the words "white male" from the state constitution with regard to voting rights. Headquartered in the Chamber of Commerce building in Columbus, Ohio, the organization put out regular publications, organized public speeches and meetings, distributed literature and held parades in support of the suffrage movement. Women's suffrage in Ohio was defeated in a special election in 1912 and again in 1914 and 1916 before a resolution narrowly passed in 1917 allowing municipal voting by women in Columbus. In 1920, the 19th Amendment passed, extending the vote to women and prohibiting state and federal government from denying suffrage on the basis of sex. View on Ohio Memory.
: MSS1025_B01F10_07 Subjects
: Women--Suffrage; Social movements; Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association; Licking County Equal Suffrage League; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio); Newark (Ohio); Licking County (Ohio);