: On August 29, 1914, Elizabeth J. Hauser, a suffragist from the Ohio Woman Suffrage Association, wrote this letter to Lucile Atcherson, a suffragist in central Ohio who served as executive secretary for the Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association. Hauser wrote the letter to inform Atcherson that she was sending to Atcherson and the Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association 100 new leaflets titled "Education and Democracy" as well as 300 horns. Suffrage horns were used during parades and demonstrations to magnify their presence and garner more attention and enthusiasm for speakers. Hauser also informed Atcherson that they would not immediately be reprinting an older leaflet titled "Woman Suffrage Endorsed' in order to promote the newer material.
The Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association was formed in 1912, after the Ohio Constitutional Convention elected to bring to a vote the question of removing the words "white male" from the state constitution with regard to voting rights. Headquartered in the Chamber of Commerce building in Columbus, Ohio, the organization put out regular publications, organized public speeches and meetings, distributed literature and held parades in support of the suffrage movement. Women's suffrage in Ohio was defeated in a special election in 1912 and again in 1914 and 1916 before a resolution narrowly passed in 1917 allowing municipal voting by women in Columbus. In 1920, the 19th Amendment passed, extending the vote to women and prohibiting state and federal government from denying suffrage on the basis of sex. View on Ohio Memory.
: MSS1025_B01F04_10 Subjects
: Women--Suffrage; Social movements; Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association; Ohio Woman Suffrage Association; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio); Warren (Ohio); Trumbull County (Ohio);