: On August 27, 1914, Elizabeth J. Hauser, an Ohio suffragist, wrote this letter to Lucile Atcherson, a fellow Ohio suffragist who worked for the Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association. Hauser wrote to inform Atcherson of the prices to purchase horns to be used at a fair. These horns were used to bring attention to the suffragists by making noise during parades, fairs, or demonstrations. Hauser suggested handing out the horns to children who attend the fair. She also wrote to Atcherson to inform her that Mrs. Elizabeth Glendower Evans, who had been invited to Columbus by Atcherson, was planning to go to Columbus on September 2, 1914. Hauser also mentioned an article in The American Magazine about Mrs. Evans, written by journalist Mrs. LaFollette.
The Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association was formed in 1912, after the Ohio Constitutional Convention elected to bring to a vote the question of removing the words "white male" from the state constitution with regard to voting rights. Headquartered in the Chamber of Commerce building in Columbus, Ohio, the organization put out regular publications, organized public speeches and meetings, distributed literature and held parades in support of the suffrage movement. Women's suffrage in Ohio was defeated in a special election in 1912 and again in 1914 and 1916 before a resolution narrowly passed in 1917 allowing municipal voting by women in Columbus. In 1920, the 19th Amendment passed, extending the vote to women and prohibiting state and federal government from denying suffrage on the basis of sex. View on Ohio Memory.
: MSS1025_B01F04_11 Subjects
: Women--Suffrage; Social movements; Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association; Ohio Woman Suffrage Association; Expositions and fairs Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio); Warren (Ohio); Trumbull County (Ohio);