: On July 24, 1914, Lucy Burns, a national women's suffragist, wrote this letter to Lucile Atcherson, the executive secretary of the Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association. Burns informs Atcherson that she is sending the banners of the Federated Clubs, Nevada, Oklahoma, and South Dakota, per Miss Atcherson's request. Burns also wishes Atcherson luck with a demonstration in support of women's suffrage scheduled for July 30, 1914.
The Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association was formed in 1912, after the Ohio Constitutional Convention elected to bring to a vote the question of removing the words "white male" from the state constitution with regard to voting rights. Headquartered in the Chamber of Commerce building in Columbus, Ohio, the organization put out regular publications, organized public speeches and meetings, distributed literature and held parades in support of the suffrage movement. Women's suffrage in Ohio was defeated in a special election in 1912 and again in 1914 and 1916 before a resolution narrowly passed in 1917 allowing municipal voting by women in Columbus. In 1920, the 19th Amendment passed, extending the vote to women and prohibiting state and federal government from denying suffrage on the basis of sex. View on Ohio Memory.
: MSS1025_B01F01_04 Subjects
: Women--Suffrage; Social movements; Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio); Washington, D.C.;