: This photograph showing the Agora Ballroom on North High Street in the University District of Columbus, Ohio, was taken for publication in the Columbus Free Press newspaper. The marquee advertises concerts by Glass Harp, a rock band from Youngstown, as well as Skeezix and Sweathog. To the building's left is the Agora Kitchen, and to the right is Pearl Alley Discs record store. Originally opened as a movie theater called the State Theater in 1923, the venue was later converted to the Agora, which was in operation from 1970-1984. Starting in 1984, it was renamed the Newport Music Hall, and still operates as a popular music venue today.
The Columbus Free Press began as a bi-weekly publication in Columbus, Ohio, in 1970. An underground newspaper, it replaced the Ohio State University publication The People, Yes. The earliest known issue of the newspaper appeared on January 4, 1971. The newspaper underwent a series of name changes over the decades, with titles including the Columbus Free Press & Cowtown Times (1972-1976), the Columbus Freepress (1976-1992) and The Free Press (1992-1995). The paper, which covered many liberal and progressive causes, was an alternative to mainstream news sources in central Ohio with the slogan “The Other Side of the News.”
In 1995, the paper ceased publication briefly before reemerging as a website in early 1996, and returning as a print publication under the Free Press title in the form of a quarterly journal in 1998. Published under various frequencies during the first part of the 21st century, the Free Press again became a nonprofit monthly publication in 2017 with both a print and web presence, published by the Columbus Institute for Contemporary Journalism and operated by a volunteer staff and board. View on Ohio Memory.
: MSS1301AV_B04F16_01 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; University District (Columbus, Ohio); Theaters -- Ohio; Musical performances; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)