Ohio Department of Highways employees photograph   Save
Ohio Department of Highways employees photograph
Description: Photograph showing employees of the Ohio Department of Highways Bureau of Bridges in Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1934. A typewritten identification is provided. The photograph was collected in the D. Henry Overman Bridge Collection, which documents the career of Overman, a native of Waverly, Ohio, and a resident of Columbus. He graduated from The Ohio State University in 1923 with a degree in civil engineering. Overman joined the Ohio Department of Highways (now the Ohio Department of Transportation) on June 10, 1918, where he was employed until his retirement in 1964, serving as assistant chief for the Bureau of Bridges for nine years, and as the chief of the Bureau for his last eight years on the job. During his approximately 45 year career, Overman designed a number of bridges in Ohio, including the stone-faced bridge over the Scioto River at Routes 161 and 33 in Dublin, and the Lorain Avenue Viaduct, a steel bridge in Cleveland. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AV184_B01F11_03_01
Subjects: Bridges; Engineering; Ohio Department of Highways; Transportation--Ohio--History; Employees;
Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)