: Four photographs depict the McKinley National Memorial built in honor of William McKinley (1843-1901), the twenty-fifth president of the United States, who was assassinated in 1901. Two million bricks were used in the construction of the double-domed mausoleum. The first image shows the memorial in 1936, while the second shows it in 1967. The final two images depict the interior of the memorial, including the double sarcophagi made of Windsor green granite with a base of black Berlin granite. The McKinley Memorial Association was established soon after McKinley's assassination. It raised funds, chose a site, and began construction in 1905. The dedication ceremonies took place on September 30, 1907. Harold Van Buren Magonigle designed the Neoclassical Greek style memorial to reflect the simplicity and dignity of McKinley's life. The interior dome measures 50 feet in diameter and is 75 feet high. The exterior dome is 75 feet in diameter and 95 feet high. Both the interior and the exterior domes are made of pink Milford granite from Massachusetts. An inscription encircling the edge of the dome is a quotation from the president's last speech, made in Buffalo: "Let us ever remember that our interest is in concord not conflict and that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace not those of war." McKinley's children Katie and Ida, who predeceased their parents, were moved from their resting places in the adjacent West Lawn Cemetery to be entombed within the double walls at the rear of the memorial. One hundred and eight steps lead to the entrance of the mausoleum, arranged in four tiers conforming to the terraces on the hill. The bronze statue of President McKinley on the steps was designed by Charles Niehaus, who created it from a photograph taken of the President making his last speech. William McKinley (1843-1901), the twenty-fifth president of the United States, was born in Niles, Ohio. He enlisted in the army at the outbreak of the Civil War and, after being mustered out, studied law and opened a law office in Canton, Ohio. McKinley served in the U.S. Congress for 14 years, and became president in 1897, largely due to the influence of Marcus Hanna, boss of the Cleveland political machine. McKinley was most noted for his foreign policy and the conduct of the Spanish-American War in 1898. It was during McKinley's administration that the U.S. acquired its first overseas possessions in the Philippines, Guam, and Puerto Rico. He was re-elected in 1900, but was assassinated by anarchist Leon Czolgosz in 1901. His running mate, Theodore Roosevelt, then became president. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3234_4401958_001 Subjects
: Architecture; Presidents and Politics; McKinley, William, 1843-1901; Presidents; Funeral rites & ceremonies; Monuments & memorials; Tombs & sepulchral monuments Places
: Canton (Ohio); Stark County (Ohio)