: Six photographs document a World War II scrap drive held by the National Machinery Company of Tiffin, Ohio. The first photograph shows a display where participants could leave items to be recycled. Five other photographs depict workers moving an old tractor for salvage and preparing a truck full of scrap metal. The photographs measure 4" x 6" (10.16 x 15.24 cm). Recycling and scrap metal drives were one of the ways Americans supported the war effort during the Second World War. As steel and other materials were needed to make ships, weapons, and other tools for the war effort, Americans were called upon to recycle goods that were not deemed essential. Government-produced posters, radio commercials and advertisements encouraged scrap drives, which were often sponsored by schools or community groups. The National Machinery Company was founded in Cleveland, Ohio in 1874 and moved to Tiffin in 1882. It established a reputation for making quality tools, primarily for the railroad industry. The company won and Army Â Navy E Award during World War II for its efforts promoting the war effort. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3314_4586108_001 Subjects
: Business and Labor; Military Ohio; World War II; Scrap metal industry Places
: Tiffin (Ohio); Seneca County (Ohio)