: The Constitution of the state of Ohio, shown here, was approved by a vote of 125,564 to 109,276 and went into effect on September 1, 1851. The 1851 Constitution is 31 pages and measures 13" x 21" (33 x 53.34 cm). Overwhelming support for amending the Ohio Constitution led to the calling of a Constitutional Convention in 1849. The convention met in Columbus in 1850, but was forced to adjourn and reconvene in Cincinnati due to the cholera epidemic in Columbus. When they met, the delegates made significant changes to the 1802 Constitution. For example, the 1802 Constitution declared that Supreme Court judges had to hold one session per year in every county in the state. In 1851 the number of judges increased to five and district courts were created. The 1851 Constitution also provided that government officials, including judges, would be elected by popular vote rather than appointed by the legislature. In addition, a provision to call a Constitutional Convention in 1871 and every twenty years thereafter was adopted. Despite the efforts of many social reformers, the Constitution did not grant the right to vote to African Americans or women. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA2675_01 Subjects
: Ohio Government; Constitutions; Constitutional conventions; Suffrage; Judges Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)