: Originally a bank and office building, the 11-story Wyandotte Building was the first steel-frame skyscraper in Columbus. Located at 21 West Broad Street near the state capitol, it boasted Chicago-style bay windows on two sides and a rich wood and marble interior. Each entrance arch was decorated with terra cotta trim. The photograph measures 5 by 6.3 inches (12.70 by 16 cm). Construction began in 1894 and the Wyandotte Building opened on April 1, 1895. The cost of the structure was $200,000. Wyandotte Savings and Trust Company was the building's first tenant, but other businesses also leased office space. The state of Ohio purchased the building in 1917, needing additional offices for state agencies. The state moved out of the building when the Rhodes Office Tower was completed in 1974. An extensive renovation project was completed in 1979. Daniel Burnham, a leading Chicago architect, designed the building. After the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition featured his Beaux Art works, he was in high demand across the country. Burnham later designed the third Columbus Union Depot, which was completed in 1897. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om1905_1980926_001 Subjects
: Business and Labor; Architecture; Skyscrapers; Banks and banking; Horses; Carriages & coaches; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)