: This image shows the front doors of the Fayette County courthouse. The bullet holes in the front door are from 1896, when the state militia fired shots from the inside the building to protect a prisoner from being lynched by an angry crowd that had gathered outside the building. The courthouse was built between 1882 and 1885 by architect David Gibbs in an eclectic architectural style, features of which included an arched entrance, pedimented pavilion, and central belfry surmounted by a statue of Justice. Renowned for its Willard murals located outside the entrance to the courtroom, the mural's themes of electricity, telegraphy, and mail represent the early progress of Fayette County. View on Ohio Memory.
: AV101_B01F02_143 Subjects
: Courthouses--Ohio; National Register of Historic Places; clock towers; arches; flat roofs; pediments; pavilions (building divisions); belfries (equipment spaces) Places
: Washington Court House (Ohio); Fayette County (Ohio); 110 E. Court