: This image shows the front facade of the Lake County Courthouse. This Beaux-Arts courthouse replaced the ca. 1840 courthouse which now serves as the Painesville City Hall. It has large Doric columns and an oversized entablature between the column capitals and the roof. Some of the materials used to build this structure were stone and Tennessee marble. Outside the front entrance are statues of Cain and Abel who represent the first crime. The sculptor hoped these statues would promote prison reform. View on Ohio Memory.
: AV101_B01F04_251 Subjects
: Courthouses--Ohio; columns; clock towers; entablatures; Beaux-Arts Places
: Painesville (Ohio); Lake County (Ohio); 47 N. Park Pl.