: The Fort Amanda memorial obelisk was erected in 1915 to perpetuate the memory of the men who served and died at Fort Amanda in Auglaize County, Ohio. One of a series of forts extending north from Piqua to Fort Meigs (present day Perrysburg), Fort Amanda was built by order of General William Henry Harrison. Originally constructed in the fall of 1812 by Kentucky troops under the command of Lt. Col. Robert Pogue, the fort was enlarged to almost double the original size during the spring of 1813 by Ohio militia soldiers under the command of Capt. Daniel Hosbrook. It served as a major supply depot for the United States army during the War of 1812. This granite monument marks the site of the original fort, which is no longer standing. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL00315 Subjects
: Monuments; Ohio History--Military Ohio Places
: Auglaize County (Ohio)