: This photograph depicts a type D portable pulverizer, the first of its type, made by the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company of Columbus, Ohio. This kind of pulverizer was used to crush limestone into fine powder which farmers spread on fields to enrich soil and increase crop yield. Pulverizers were belt-driven and powered by steam or gasoline engines.
The Jeffrey Manufacturing Company, also known as the Jeffrey Mining Corporate Center, was established in 1876 as the Lechner Mining Machine Company in Columbus, Ohio by Joseph Jeffrey and Francis Lechner. The company was the number one manufacturer of coal mining machinery worldwide until the mid-twentieth century. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL01316 Subjects
: Crushing machinery; Coal mining; Coal mines and mining--Ohio; Coal mines and mining--United States; Inventions; Coal-mining machinery; Manufacturing industries--Ohio; Inventors--Ohio; Ohio Economy--Economy--Labor Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)