: This photograph depicts pit car loaders under construction at the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company in Columbus, Ohio. Loaders eliminated the time-consuming job of loading coal into pit cars by hand, which increased production and lowered cost. These 38D loaders were later shipped to the Peabody Coal Company.
The Jeffrey Manufacturing Company, also known as the Jeffrey Mining Corporate Center, was established in 1876 as the Lechner Mining Machine Company in Columbus, Ohio, by Joseph Jeffrey and Francis Lechner. The company was the number one manufacturer of coal mining machinery worldwide until the mid-twentieth century. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL01521 Subjects
: Coal mines and mining -- Ohio; Inventions; Coal-mining machinery; Manufacturing industries--Ohio; Inventors -- Ohio; Ohio Economy--Economy--Labor Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)