: This photograph depicts a portable loader owned by the Hamilton Moulding Sand Company, Hamilton, Ohio, and made by the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company of Columbus, Ohio. It is loading molding sand into a horse-drawn wagon driven by a Hamilton employee. Molding sand was used in foundries to produce castings from molten metal.
The Jeffrey Manufacturing Company, also known as the Jeffrey Mining Corporate Center, was established in 1876 as the Lechner Mining Machine Company in Columbus, Ohio by Joseph Jeffrey and Francis Lechner. The company was the number one manufacturer of coal mining machinery worldwide until the mid-twentieth century. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL01358 Subjects
: Horse-drawn vehicles; Coal mines and mining -- Ohio; Inventions; Coal-mining machinery; Manufacturing industries--Ohio; Inventors -- Ohio; Ohio Economy--Economy--Labor Places
: Hamilton (Ohio); Butler County (Ohio)