: This photograph depicts portable elevator built by the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company of Columbus, Ohio. The elevator raised sand and gravel to the top of the machine where it was dumped onto vibrating screens that separated sand from gravel and loaded it on to horse-drawn wagons.
The Jeffrey Manufacturing Company, also known as the Jeffrey Mining Corporate Center, was established in 1876 as the Lechner Mining Machine Company in Columbus, Ohio by Joseph Jeffrey and Francis Lechner. The company was the number one manufacturer of coal mining machinery worldwide until the mid-twentieth century. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL01644 Subjects
: Conveying machinery; Coal mining; Coal mines and mining--Ohio; Coal mines and mining--United States; Inventions; Coal-mining machinery; Manufacturing industries--Ohio; Inventors--Ohio; Ohio Economy--Economy--Labor Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)