: Photograph of the old Tuberculosis Hospital in Hamilton County, Ohio. The hospital was built in 1879 on Guerley Farm under the name "Branch Hospital for Contagious Diseases," specifically for tuberculosis patients. As the disease spread, more buildings were necessary and the complex became the Cincinnati Tubercular Hospital.
In 1945, the name was changed again to the Dunham Hospital in honor of Dr. Henry Kennon Dunham, one of the country's leading researchers into the causes and cures of tuberculosis. He served as the hospital's director from 1909 to 1940.
Once a cure was discovered in the 1940s, the number of tuberculosis patients decreased dramatically, and the hospital was no longer needed. This building, along with most others on the property, was demolished in 1973 to make way for the Dunham Recreation Complex.
View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B07F05_002_1 Subjects
: Tuberculosis; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Hospitals--Ohio--Cincinnati Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)