: Taken ca. 1930-1939, this photograph shows an aerial view of the International Harvester Company plant in Springfield, Ohio, located at Buck Creek and Lagonda Avenue. Founded in 1902, International Harvester manufactured farm equipment such as plows, harvesters, tractors, and automobiles. In 1985, International Harvester sold its agricultural division to a company called Tenneco, Inc., where its farming products are sold under the Case IH brand, and in 1986 the corporate company changed its name to Navistar International Corporation.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B07F07_006_1 Subjects
: Factories; International Harvester Company; Industries--Ohio--Springfield; Agriculture; Aerial photography; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Works Progress Administration; Ohio Federal Writers' Project Places
: Springfield (Ohio); Clark County (Ohio)