: Reverse reads: "Opening game. Cin.Ball.Park. Apr. 15-1941- Raising the World Pennant, showing Reds and St. Louis players, temporary seats in left field and left field grand stand. and Band"
This photograph depicts the Cincinnati Reds and St. Louis Cardinals standing at attention during the raising of the World Pennant during the opening game at Crosley Field in Cincinnati on April 15, 1941. The marching band stands beside them.
Crosley Field was located at the corner of Western Avenue and Findley Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. Originally named Redland Field, this steel and concrete Major League Baseball park was designed by architect Henry Hake and cost $225, 000 to build. It was renamed Crosley Field in 1934, when the team was bought by local businessman Powel Crosley Jr.
Crosley Field was one of the smallest parks in the MLB, in both capacity and field size, and was notorious for "the terrace", a fifteen degree incline in left field. The last game at Crosley Field was played June 24, 1970, and the team moved to Riverfront Stadium. It was destroyed on April 19, 1972, and today seven buildings and a street occupy the place where it stood. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B13F01_009_001 Subjects
: Crosley Field (Cincinnati, Ohio)--History--Pictorial works; Marching bands; Cincinnati Reds (Baseball team); St. Louis Cardinals (Baseball team); Baseball--Ohio--Cincinnati; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project. Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)