: Reverse reads: "Opening Game. Cin. Ball Park- Apr.15, 1941. Cin. Reds and St. Louis players also band leaving flag raising in center field to start game."
This photograph shows the Cincinnati Reds, the St. Louis Cardinals and the marching band leaving the field after the flag raising ceremony during opening game at Crosley Field on April 15, 1941. The Reds ended up losing to St. Louis 3-7.
Crosley Field was located at the corner of Western Avenue and Findley Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. Originally named Redland Field, this steel and concrete Major League Baseball park was designed by architect Henry Hake and cost $225,000 to build. It was renamed Crosley Field in 1934, when the team was bought by local businessman Powel Crosley Jr.
Crosley Field was one of the smallest parks in the MLB, in both capacity and field size, and was notorious for "the terrace", a fifteen degree incline in left field. The last game at Crosley Field was played June 24, 1970, and the team moved to Riverfront Stadium. It was destroyed on April 19, 1972, and today seven buildings and a street occupy the place where it stood. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B13F01_012_001 Subjects
: Crosley Field (Cincinnati, Ohio)--History--Pictorial works; Cincinnati Reds (Baseball team); St. Louis Cardinals (Baseball team); Baseball--Ohio--Cincinnati; Federal Writers' Project. Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)