: Reverse reads: "Opening Game- Apr.15-1941. Parking lot, back of Cin. Ball Park showing press boxes and rear of grand stand."
This is a photograph of the parking lot behind Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio. The parking lot is full of cars and the press box is visible above the stadium.
Crosley Field was located at the corner of Western Avenue and Findley Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. Originally named Redland Field, this steel and concrete Major League Baseball park was designed by architect Henry Hake and cost $225, 000 to build. It was renamed Crosley Field in 1934, when the team was bought by local businessman Powel Crosley Jr.
Crosley Field was one of the smallest parks in the MLB, in both capacity and field size, and was notorious for "the terrace", a fifteen degree incline in left field. The last game at Crosley Field was played June 24, 1970, and the team moved to Riverfront Stadium. It was destroyed on April 19, 1972, and today seven buildings and a street occupy the place where it stood. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B13F01_014_001 Subjects
: Crosley Field (Cincinnati, Ohio)--History--Pictorial works; Cincinnati Reds (Baseball team); St. Louis Cardinals (Baseball team); Baseball--Ohio--Cincinnati; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project. Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)