Brilliant High School basketball photograph   Save
Brilliant High School basketball photograph
Description: Dated ca. 1930-1943, this photograph shows five high school boys on the Brilliant High School basketball team. From left to right, the numbers on the boys' uniforms are 6, 10, 11, 8, and 12. Brilliant High School was a public school in Brilliant, Ohio, until it was merged with Smithfield High School in 1970 to create Buckeye North High School. A few years later Buckeye North, South and West merged to create Buckeye Local High School. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B13F01_022_001
Subjects: Basketball players; High school athletes; Sports and recreation facilities; Gymnasiums; Steubenville (Ohio)
Places: Brilliant (Ohio); Steubenville (Ohio); Jefferson County (Ohio)