: This is an engraving of what is mostly likely Springer Auditorium in the Cincinnati Music Hall in Cincinnati, Ohio. It appears there is an orchestra or choir singing on stage with a conductor leading the performance. Reuben Springer was a founding patron of the Cincinnati Music Hall and the auditorium was named Springer Hall in his honor.
The Cincinnati Music Hall is now the epicenter of classical music performance in Cincinnati. It serves as the home for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Cincinnati Opera, May Festival Chorus, and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. Completed in 1878, the building is located at 1241 Elm Street in Cincinnati, Ohio across from historic Washington Park in Over-the-Rhine, not far from the center of the downtown area. In December of 1974, it was included on the list of National Historic Landmarks.
Built on the site of a pauper's cemetery, it is reputedly one of the most haunted places in Cincinnati. The Music Hall opened for its first performance, Beethoven's "Eroica" and Gluck's "Alceste" on May 14, 1878. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B13F01_054 Subjects
: Cincinnati Music Hall; Music--Performance; Historic buildings--Ohio--Cincinnati--Pictorial works; Music Hall (Cincinnati, Ohio); Audiences; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project. Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)