: This is a photograph of a steel barge in the locks at Steubenville, Ohio at Dam # 10.L
Lock and Dam 10, completed in 1915, was part of a slack-water navigation system built for the Ohio River. The site included a brick powerhouse and two lockkeeper houses. The lock and dam was replaced when Pike Island Dam was completed in 1965. The buildings were demolished in 1975. Remnants include two sets of steps, a 600-foot ramp, the lock esplanade and wall, and a recess at the east end where the lock gate once retracted.
The first part of this system was the Davis Island Dam near Pittsburgh, completed in 1885. By 1929, a nine-foot pool had been completed along the entire length of the Ohio, culminating with Lock and Dam 53 at Grand Chain, Illinois. Built by the Pittsburgh District of the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, this system resulted in a more navigable Ohio River with increased depth and diminished current. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B13F08_006_001 Subjects
: Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project; Barges; Ohio River; Steubenville (Ohio) Places
: Steubenville (Ohio); Jefferson County (Ohio)